A Brief Company History
Howard S. Martin was a chemist who, in 1932, started his own company in Evanston, Illinois. During the next thirty seven years, his company had grown to include the production of X-ray and other electronic tubes and was producing world-class laboratory and scientific glassware. By the 1950's, H.S. Martin and Company was recognized worldwide and had facilities in both Illinois and New Jersey.
In 1969, Howard Martin sold his company to the Kontes Glass Company of Vineland, New Jersey. H.S. Martin and Company would remain in Evanston, but had now become Kontes/Martin. Apparatus with the Kontes/Martin logo can still be found in service around the world to this day.
In 1980, Kontes/Martin moved from Evanston, Illinois to the Kontes Glass Company's facility in Vineland, New Jersey. Shortly thereafter, in 1982, the Kontes Glass Company was sold to the Owens Illinois company. The Kontes family, however, did not include Kontes/Martin in the sale. Property was purchased in Vineland, New Jersey, and a new 15,000 square foot facility was constructed. In 1983 the company was renamed H.S. Martin, Inc. and has remained in Vineland, New Jersey ever since.
Throughout the years, one thing has remained unchanged - our commitment to excellence. For over three quarters of a century our company's policy has been to produce glassware of the highest quality. Since our beginning in 1932, we have been involved with the health care, aerospace, educational, petroleum, chemical and pharmaceutical industries, just to name few. During this time we have proudly worked alongside the leaders in these various industries to develop glassware and apparatus which will help lead us all into the next generation of technology.